TSB Quarterly Review — First quarter 2016-17
As summer sets in, it's fair to say that people are tempted to “take it easy.” But transportation accidents don't take vacations. We have been very busy here at the TSB over the last three months, and expect to be just as busy over the next quarter. This spring, in addition to our numerous ongoing investigations, we released 7 investigations reports and started 15 new accident investigations across the country.
We have also released significant reports such as the highly anticipated Ornge helicopter accident in Moosonee investigation report—which included 14 new recommendations aimed at reducing deficiencies in regulatory oversight, flight rules and pilot readiness, and aircraft equipment. Further, we published our new five-year Strategic Plan, which sets out our corporate goals for the future: who we are as an organization, where we want to go, and how we're going to get there.
Our annual awards and recognition ceremony was held in June, celebrating the outstanding work of the awards winners, and marking National Public Service Week. We are proud of the work we do, and grateful for the dedication of our skilled employees.
I hope you enjoy reading this issue!
- Derailment near Stoney Creek, BC (June 2016)
- Grounding of bulk carrier CWB Marquis near Beauharnois, QC (June 2016)
- Ornge helicopter crash in Moosonee, ON (June 2016)
- Freight train derailment in Farnham Yard, QC (June 2016)
- Helicopter accident in Key Lake, SK (June 2016)
- Ferry Grace Sparkes striking Burnside Rock, NL(May 2016)
- Fire and sinking of fishing vessel off Rimouski, QC (April 2016)
- Landing gear collapse in Edmonton, AB (April 2016)
- TSB Chair inducted into Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame
- First-ever multi-modal TSB Transportation Safety Summit
- TSB assesses responses to recommendations arising from the 2013 OC Transpo-VIA RAIL accident investigation
- Update on TSB investigation into 11 September 2015 fatal railway crossing collision in Langley, BC
- Update on TSB investigation into the accident involving a Mitsubishi MU-2B in les Îles-de-la-Madeleine, QC
Blog posts: The TSB Recorder
- From the Air Force to the TSB – A meaningful transition
- The strength of working together
- Rail Safety – a collective effort
- The TSB then and now
- TSB Social Media Story
- Aerial video of accident site in Îles-de-la-Madeleine (angle zoom in)
- Aerial video of accident site in Îles-de-la-Madeleine (zoom in and zoom out)
- Aerial video of accident site in Îles-de-la-Madeleine (view from top, zoom out)
New video about how we launched into the world of social media.
Watch it here
- Toronto, ON (air)
- Kitkatla BC (air)
- Fort St. James, BC (air)
- Milligan's Wharf, PEI (marine)
- Gander, NL (air)
- Saskatoon, SK (rail)
- Montréal, QC (marine)
This is not a comprehensive list.